More than three years of ongoing conflict, which has included extreme violence against civilians, has forced millions of people across South Sudan from their homes.
Hundreds of thousands have been unable to access basic necessities such as food, water and primary and secondary healthcare for months at a time, and live in fear for their lives.
In 2016, MSF continued to respond to the urgent medical needs of people affected by violence and maintained its essential healthcare programmes across South Sudan, despite the growing challenges we face reaching those in greatest need. As insecurity and violence spread across the country, providing humanitarian assistance has become increasingly complex and, in some places, increasingly dangerous.
After fighting broke out in the capital, Juba, in July, MSF set up a surgical facility and ran mobile clinics across the city. In the first month, one outreach team treated 9,242 people for violence-related injuries and health problems caused by the deteriorating living conditions.
MSF staff also helped the Ministry of Health to set up and run a cholera treatment centre in Juba teaching hospital.
Year MSF first worked in the country: 1983.
|Patients treated for malaria||313,500|
|Antenatal care consultations||55,400|
|Measles vaccinations in response to an outbreak||47,700|
|Patients treated in feeding centres||14,300|
|Patients treated for cholera||1000|
|No. staff in 2016||3,683|
|Expenditure 2016||€86.9 million|
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (7)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (30)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (13)
- Hands Off Our MedicinesApply Hands Off Our Medicines filter (1)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (5)
- Mediterranean MigrationApply Mediterranean Migration filter (1)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (2)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (29)
- Mobile clinicApply Mobile clinic filter (13)
- Neglected diseasesApply Neglected diseases filter (2)
- Reconstructive surgeryApply Reconstructive surgery filter (1)
- Refugees and internally displaced peopleApply Refugees and internally displaced people filter (29)
- Sexual violenceApply Sexual violence filter (3)
- Sustainable Development GoalsApply Sustainable Development Goals filter (1)
- VaccinationApply Vaccination filter (3)
- Water and sanitationApply Water and sanitation filter (7)
- EbolaApply Ebola filter (2)
- Hepatitis CApply Hepatitis C filter (1)
- HIV/AIDSApply HIV/AIDS filter (5)
- Infectious diseasesApply Infectious diseases filter (21)
- Kala azar (visceral leishmaniasis)Apply Kala azar (visceral leishmaniasis) filter (1)
- LeishmaniasisApply Leishmaniasis filter (1)
- MalnutritionApply Malnutrition filter (10)
- MeaslesApply Measles filter (3)
- Parasitic diseasesApply Parasitic diseases filter (55)
- Pneumococcal diseaseApply Pneumococcal disease filter (1)
- TuberculosisApply Tuberculosis filter (7)