Until March 2016, thousands of people fleeing war and persecution were arriving on Greek islands every day before continuing their journeys across Europe.
However, the closure of the Balkan route and the EU deal with Turkey in March left migrants and refugees stranded, without access to basic services, adequate shelter or information on their legal status. MSF shifted its focus from providing lifesaving surgery and medical care to people on the move to addressing the specific needs of those stuck in unsanitary camps.
After the signing of the EU–Turkey deal, the number of migrants arriving on Greek islands decreased sharply. Between January and September, MSF carried out 12,909 basic healthcare consultations across the island, through its mobile clinics and inside Moria and Kara Tepe registration centres. In Matamados, in the north of the island, MSF ran a transit centre for new arrivals and organised buses to transport them to registration centres. After March, the Moria hotspot became a pre-removal detention centre, offering little guarantee of respect for human rights. MSF decided to halt all its activities in Moria, including transport, and hand over its medical services to other organisations. MSF continued to provide medical and mental healthcare in Kara Tepe camp and respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people.
In September, MSF opened a clinic in Mytilene town centre offering sexual and reproductive healthcare, treatment for chronic diseases and mental health support. A team also started outreach activities in Moria to identify specific vulnerabilities and mental health needs.Read more about MSF's activities in Greece in 2016
Year MSF first worked in the country: 1991.
|Individual mental health consultations||8,100|
|Group mental health consultations||650|
|No. staff in 2016||60|
|Expenditure 2016||€25.1 million|
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (8)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (16)
- Antibiotic resistanceApply Antibiotic resistance filter (1)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (18)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (8)
- Mediterranean MigrationApply Mediterranean Migration filter (56)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (30)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (104)
- Mobile clinicApply Mobile clinic filter (11)
- Sexual violenceApply Sexual violence filter (1)
- VaccinationApply Vaccination filter (9)
- Water and sanitationApply Water and sanitation filter (13)
- Hepatitis BApply Hepatitis B filter (2)
- Hepatitis CApply Hepatitis C filter (1)
- HIV/AIDSApply HIV/AIDS filter (2)
- Infectious diseasesApply Infectious diseases filter (13)
- MalariaApply Malaria filter (2)
- MalnutritionApply Malnutrition filter (1)
- MeaslesApply Measles filter (2)
- Parasitic diseasesApply Parasitic diseases filter (2)
- Pneumococcal diseaseApply Pneumococcal disease filter (3)
- PolioApply Polio filter (2)
- TuberculosisApply Tuberculosis filter (1)