Central African Republic
Ongoing political unrest and violence have resulted in a protracted humanitarian crisis in the Central African Republic (CAR). Despite relatively peaceful democratic elections in early 2016, the situation remains extremely concerning.
Amid shifting frontlines, thousands of people were killed, wounded or displaced as armed groups fought to take control of territory. Two MSF workers paid the ultimate price and lost their lives while doing their jobs.
Humanitarian needs are immense: in late 2016, 2.3 million people, or about half of the population, were depending on humanitarian aid to survive. According to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA), one in five CAR citizens are still displaced inside or outside national borders.
Limited access to vaccination and sanitation means that easily preventable diseases continue to take a toll. Malaria is endemic and the leading cause of death among children under five years of age. Mental health needs are also great, with people traumatised by violence and permanent insecurity. The health system is barely functioning, due to a severe shortage of skilled health workers and medical supplies. This basic lack of access to healthcare has serious repercussions for, among others, people living with HIV (3.7 per cent of the adult population): CAR has one of the lowest antiretroviral coverage rates in the world.
In 2016, humanitarian agencies withdrew from CAR, due to a lack of funding, but MSF is maintaining its presence and teams are running 17 projects across the country.
Bangui Sporadic fighting and violence in the city resulted in dozens of casualties. MSF continues to focus on emergency services in the General Hospital and carried out 3,700 surgical interventions this year. The team also conducted 32,300 consultations in the predominantly Muslim PK5 neighbourhood, treating children under the age of 15 at Mamadou Mbaiki health centre.
In M’poko camp for internally displaced people near the international airport, more than 106,000 consultations were carried out in the MSF field hospital.
Year MSF first worked in the country: 1997.
|Patients treated for malaria||595,700|
|Patients treated in feeding centres||9,800|
|No. staff in 2016||2,760|
|Expenditure 2016||€60.4 million|
- A Fair ShotApply A Fair Shot filter (5)
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (27)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (30)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (30)
- Health policyApply Health policy filter (2)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (12)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (5)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (105)
- Mobile clinicApply Mobile clinic filter (16)
- Neglected diseasesApply Neglected diseases filter (8)
- Reconstructive surgeryApply Reconstructive surgery filter (2)
- Refugees and internally displaced peopleApply Refugees and internally displaced people filter (105)
- Sexual violenceApply Sexual violence filter (9)
- Sustainable Development GoalsApply Sustainable Development Goals filter (2)
- VaccinationApply Vaccination filter (26)
- Water and sanitationApply Water and sanitation filter (7)
- EbolaApply Ebola filter (6)
- FistulaApply Fistula filter (1)
- HIV/AIDSApply HIV/AIDS filter (31)
- Infectious diseasesApply Infectious diseases filter (37)
- Kala azar (visceral leishmaniasis)Apply Kala azar (visceral leishmaniasis) filter (1)
- LeishmaniasisApply Leishmaniasis filter (1)
- MalariaApply Malaria filter (33)
- MalnutritionApply Malnutrition filter (17)
- MeaslesApply Measles filter (13)
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB)Apply Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) filter (2)
- Parasitic diseasesApply Parasitic diseases filter (40)
- Pneumococcal diseaseApply Pneumococcal disease filter (11)
- PolioApply Polio filter (4)
- Sleeping sickness (human African trypanosomiasis)Apply Sleeping sickness (human African trypanosomiasis) filter (7)
- TuberculosisApply Tuberculosis filter (17)
- 2017Apply 2017 filter (21)
- 2016Apply 2016 filter (39)
- 2015Apply 2015 filter (35)
- 2014Apply 2014 filter (100)
- 2013Apply 2013 filter (44)
- 2012Apply 2012 filter (11)
- 2011Apply 2011 filter (8)
- 2010Apply 2010 filter (2)
- 2009Apply 2009 filter (8)
- 2008Apply 2008 filter (1)
- 2007Apply 2007 filter (4)
- 2006Apply 2006 filter (2)
- 2004Apply 2004 filter (2)
- 2003Apply 2003 filter (3)
- 2002Apply 2002 filter (3)
- 2001Apply 2001 filter (1)
- 2000Apply 2000 filter (2)