Director Of Finances
I- GENERAL CONTEXT
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian action-driven organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. 24 sections make-up the international movement and work in partnership around 5 operational centres.
The Spanish section of MSF was founded in 1986 in Barcelona. MSF-Spain has various Regional Offices (Delegations) in the rest of Spain, Regional Branch Offices in Argentina and Nairobi as well as operational units in Dakar and Amman.
In 2005 an operational partnership was established between MSF-Spain and MSF-Greece. Today the Operational Centre Barcelona-Athens (OCBA) has 5 Operational cells (3 in Barcelona, 1 in Nairobi and 1 in Amman) and an Emergency Unit (based in Barcelona). More recently, OCBA has created the OCBA Network, consciously evolving towards a network configuration with a growing number of MSF partners (8 MSF sections in total in 2017: Spain, Greece, Latam, East Africa, Japan, Austria, Norway and Canada).
The social mission is focused on assisting populations, communities and individuals as it is expressed in the MSF charter, while continuously exploring new possible scenarios where response to medical and humanitarian crisis could be relevant. The quality, relevance and volume of operations have evolved significantly over the past years. MSF OCBA/ is currently active in 27 medical and humanitarian crises worldwide and contributes to the global response to emergencies of the MSF movement.
The organisational units are organized into Departments: Operations, Medical, Logistics & Supply, Finances, Human Resources, Communications & Public Awareness, Fundraising, Projects and IT and General Direction. In 2017, an estimated number of 6,700 people made a reality the social mission of MSF OCBA, 540 of them based in headquarters and the rest deployed in the field. The estimated budget of MSF OCBA in 2017 is 199 Million euros.
II- JOB GENERAL OBJECTIVE AND CONTEXT
The Director of Finances is tasked with the mission of protecting the financial assets of Médecins Sans Frontières - Spain and defining, updating and directing its financial policy, in order to guarantee the availability of resources and the appropriate accountability in front of internal and external control bodies and the general public.
Directly accountable to the General Director, and in close collaboration with the Director of Operations, the Management Team and the Board of Directors, s/he will be responsible for coordinating and executing the financial planning and reporting, maintaining a fair and true accounting register, treasury management and promoting relevant financial analysis, control and technical support at field and HQ level. Contingent on the strategic lines defined by the Strategic and Executive Plans, s/he is responsible for ensuring the analysis of economic, financial and accounting structures providing strategies to ensure their balance, efficient use of resources and proper accountability.
S/he will implement the political and financial choices endorsed by the Board of Directors. As part of the Management Team, s/he designs, proposes, participates in and implements decisions and strategic planning adopted by it. S/he contributes thinking and participates in the decision-making processes relating to the operations, the social mission, the role of the association and the evolution and positioning within the MSF movement and in civil society. S/he participates in reflecting upon the adjustment of the means needed to implement the operational project and in measuring the financial consequences of operational decisions.
S/he will actively stimulate the relations with other sections and entities within the Movement and OCBA network, mainly, but not only, in financial aspects and its involvement and support to the OCBA planning and budgeting processes.
As an ex-officio member of the International Finance Directors Platform, s/he will actively participate in the Financial Management and reporting of the Movement, in the reflexions around the main current and future financial stakes of the Movement and more globally, to the overall international financial policy.
S/he manages the financial department organized into two units: accounting and operational finances. Together with the heads of the units, s/he manages the activity and defines the organisation of the department, the objectives to be achieved and HR follow-up and evaluations. Currently the department is made up of 21 people plus volunteers and collaborators.
III- MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- S/he analysis the structure and evolution of incomes and expenditures at field, HQ and OC and Network level
- S/he defines the short, mid and long term financial policies, within the framework of OCBA’s Strategic Plan.
- S/he proposes the annual financial strategy.
- S/he supervises and consolidates the Association’s budgeting process and ensures a sound reporting thereof to the Board of Directors / Agora Platform.
- S/he supervises the elaboration of the Annual Accounts, the yearly financial audit(s) and the relation with the external auditors and assists the Treasurer of the Association in the drafting of the Treasurer Report and its presentation to the General Assembly.
- S/he coordinates the heads of units so that they implement their annual planning, follow them up and evaluate them while supporting them in building up their competences and those of their teams. S/he also defines and approves the use of resources within the Finance department and proposes and follows up the annual budget of the department.
- S/he participates in the recruitment, training and evaluation of the different members of the department.
- S/he gets regularly involved in the definition and improvement of financial management and control tools and contributes to the design, elaboration and delivery of financial trainings (PPD, ad hoc trainings, etc.). S/he will visit the field regularly in order to remain close to and supportive of the field reality and operational needs.
- S/he participates in the follow-up and evolution of the contracts with both institutional and private donors and related accountability.
- S/he participates in and approves and the preparation of policies of support of the financial functions and controls at field level.
- S/he oversees, within the framework defined by the Board of Directors, the Association’s treasury management and chooses the main banking partners and maintains a fluent relation with them. S/he is a signatory to the accounts and organizes and authorizes all payments.
- S/he oversees the evolution of all tax issues related to the Association and liaises with the different tax consultants accordingly.
- Ensure legal support and management of legacies, bequests, liabilities and donations to the Association.
- S/he represents the Operational Centre in MSF international meetings. Within the Financial Directors’ Platforms or Commissions, participate actively in reflection and decision-making with regards to common objectives and international financial policies.
- S/he boosts partnership with other MSF sections, mainly with those who are members of the Agora and see to its involvement in the annual planning and budgeting processes.
- S/he acts as an interlocutor for economic and financial issues.
IV- SELECTION CRITERIA
Education and Experience
- Degree in Economics/Administration/Business or the like.
- Experience of minimum 3 years in similar positions.
- Desirable experience in the job as a “Controller”.
- Experience in MSF or other NGOs will be an asset.
- Good command of Spanish and English. French desirable.
- Experience in team coordination and management.
- IT as a user (Windows and SAP settings).
- Strategic conception of the financial task and management of complex organisations.
- Availability to travel abroad.
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Initiative and Innovation
- Capacity to Negotiate
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- People Management and Development
- Security Awareness and Management
- Position based in the Médecins Sans Frontières-Spain Barcelona Headquarters
- Full time job.
- Minimum commitment: 3 years (extendable to 6).
- Annual gross salary 57,490.69 euros (divided in 12 monthly payments) + Secondary Benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy.
- Starting date: April 1st, 2018
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “Director of Finances” to RECRUITMENT-BCN@barcelona.msf.org
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME
- Closing date: February 21st 2018
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates
- Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognised disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.