Communication Advisor and Writer for the International President
Position: Communication Advisor and Writer
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Contract: Full time, 1 year contract, renewable
Starting date: September 2017
I. MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF movement, and implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
The International President of Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) leads the International Board and the International General Assembly, and represents MSF externally. This includes strategic public representation of MSF at public events and in the media in support of MSF social mission and public positioning.
II. PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
MSF positioning and messaging is driven by the humanitarian and medical work of the organization. The International President works closely with members of the international office, departments across MSF and the field to develop public positioning to support MSF’s social mission.
Due to the increased demand for communication and advocacy representation we are hiring a Communication Advisor and Writer to provide support on gathering key information, and drafting and editing speeches, talking points and opinion pieces for the International President.
The Communication Advisor and Writer reports to the International President and must have the ability to network their way through a highly decentralised organisation, in order to gather all relevant and topical information and messaging.
III. MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the International President in writing speeches and opinion pieces which will support MSF public positioning;
- Work in close collaboration with the MSF international office team and MSF offices in charge of field programmes (to maintain a full comprehension of ongoing priorities for MSF operations and public advocacy;
- Liaise with the relevant MSF teams on the field and in headquarters to gather content input, background information and the latest project updates;
- Perform in depth research and analysis into different subject matters, speakers and audience expectations. Work in close collaboration with the President to ensure a tailor-made communication for each and every audience in order to achieve maximum impact;
- Work with the International Office communications team, to help filter and organise incoming media interview requests coherent with ongoing priorities;
- Accompany the International President to conferences and field visits as required.
Genuine interest in, understanding of, and commitment to the humanitarian principles and social mission of MSF.
- Master's degree or equivalent in international relations, social sciences, journalism or equivalent through experience;
- Experience in advising high-level executives on public communication; and confirmed experience in writing in public and/or international affairs;
- Solid experience in strategic communications;
- Experience in media relations;
- Solid understanding of humanitarian issues and trends impacting humanitarian affairs;
- Experience within MSF or another NGO working on humanitarian and/ or medical issues is highly desirable
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Working knowledge of French is desirable
- Proven ability to write impactful speeches
- Excellent networking skills, with the ability to engage and work closely with a variety of stakeholders
- Strategic thinker with strong analytical skills
- Diplomatic inter-actor
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to rapidly synthesise large volumes of information
- Ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines
- Able to work under stress and unafraid of confronting ideas
- Able to travel frequently including to countries where MSF has operations
- Able to work outside normal business hours and on weekends
Starting date: 1 September 2017
Contract: Fixed-term full time contract
Duration: 1 year renewable
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Deadline for applications: 9 July 2017
Please submit all applications only by email to:
“Communication Advisor and Writer for the IP”
Please submit only one file containing your CV and cover letter and name the file with your LAST NAME only.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.